Hey guys, so if you know me or have read any of my previous posts you may have gathered that I’m not the biggest fan of Sarah J Maas, I’m not one to constantly speak ill of someones work and not justify my reasons why, so I thought I’d make this post. DISCLAIMER: I’m really sarcastic and awful when I’m talking about something I dislike, please don’t take offence to this, its just the way I am, if you love Sarah, good for you! I’m glad your experience with her novels has worked out better than mine did, everything i discuss in this post is simply an opinion. Now lets get in to the fun stuff.
Just a heads up: I have not read the Court of blah and blah series, so whenever I bring that up, it’s because I’ve found some info online.
Problem number one with SJM is the major turn the Throne of Glass series took, listen up, authors YOU CANNOT CHANGE EVERYTHING IN YOUR BOOK SERIES AND COMPLETELY CHANGE IT AND THEN STILL EXPECT PEOPLE TO LIKE IT. oKAY? Like, I’m sorry but does anyone else look back on when it was Celeana, (not Aelin, Fireheart and whatever other crap we call her now) Dorian, Chaol and that Kaltain bitch or whatever her name was? THAT WAS GOOD, Celeana’s character? Good. The love triangle? Surprisingly good. This girl *points at face*? Happy with her new book series.
And then Aelin happened??????? From Heir of Fire//Queen of Shadows the series turned into a new series, everything else that happened? Irrelevant. SJM made a amazingly idiotic moove and changed all the things that gave her a successful series, great job, reeeeeeeealy great job.
- Once Celeana was revealed to be ~Aelin~ she just completely changed, she went from badass assassin who was pretty useless, but had morals to some crazy bitch who had zero clue what she was doing yet still thought she could be a Queen? Nope, you’re just a twat, go and write in your diary about how perfect Rowan the fae male is and never speak or do anything again
- Rowan, there is so much to say, so I decided to just throw my two cents in on some quotes:
“Gods, he was brilliant. Cunning and wicked and brilliant. Even when he beat the hell out of her. Every. Damn. Day.” (Heir of Fire)
uhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmm…. what? This bitch (Aelin, Fireheart, bitch queen etc) was literally pining over him while he PHYSICALLY ASSAULTED HER. This is what teenagers are viewing as goals, thanks SJM, great thing to show impressionable teens.
“It turned out that the ‘submission’ part of a blood oath was something Rowan liked to interpret as it suited him. […] He bossed Celaena around even more- seeming to believe that now he was a part of her court, it entitled him to certain nonnegotiable rights regarding her safety, her movement, and her plans.”
Ahhh there’s nothing like a shop between a controlling, abusive, possessive man and an ‘independent’ woman being shown as desirable.
AND DO NOT EVEN TRY AND PULL THE ‘he’s fae, thats how they are’ BS with me, I’ve read a lot of books with fae, and they aren’t all as terrible as Rowan *cough* THE CRUEL PRINCE BY HOLLY BLACK *cough*, also, what the triggered Rowan stans seem to be forgetting is that, this is FANTASY, SJM could do whatever she wanted, but she didn’t, she thought this nasty relationship was cuuuuute.
- Literally every character in this book ignores the fact that Aelin is a dumbass bitch, the only person to ever question her was my boiiiii Aedion, and even he took it back, like, i’m perfectly okay with a bitchy character who is pretty cruel and makes some pretty stupid decisions, I do not, however, like it when everyone still worships said character and acts like there is nothing wrong with them
- The character assassination of Dorian will never be forgotten. ‘Nuff said.
- Also what is with the 2643549651965327 relationships? This woman is obsessed.
ONE MORE THING, SJM HAS THIS THING WHERE SHE WON’T LET READERS MAKE THEIR OWN DECISIONS REGARDING THEIR OPINIONS, YOU DON’T LIKE ROWAN? SHAME, SHE JUST MADE THE OTHER LOVE INTERESTS A) A DOUCHE B) UNAVAILABLE. IT’S LIKE SHES JUST SHOVING MORE AND MORE ROWAN INTO MY THROAT AND I HATE IT. *deep breath* But anyways, lets move on.
- In every book, there is a point where we all think everything is about to go wrong, And at the end of every book, the bitch queen had a plan. Sarah, sweetie, it’s getting old.
- She just recycles content from her other books, there are a ton of examples online, SJM can’t write more than one book otherwise she plagiarises her own work, that is so lazy.
- She knows about six words: ‘growled’ ‘snarled’ ‘gods’ ‘velvet’ ‘steel’ and ‘fire’, I’m sick of hearing them.
- Her writing is decent fanfiction at BEST
- SJM just changes her mind on where her books are going and makes awful, and very obvious attempts to ‘seamlessly’ cover this up and its awful
Okaaay so I’m sorry if this post is a mess but I’m sick of SJM fans trying to convert me, its not gonna happen, and at the end of the day Sarah has my money and I have like 8 crap books, so I’m allowed to be a tad harsh. Do you agree or disagree with me? Let me know in the comments, I’d love to hear what you think! Talk to you next time, when I (hopefully) wont be as mad 🙂